The European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) has just released an official Notice of Competition calling forward applications from those who wish to join the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council of the EU, the European Court of Justice, the Economic and Social Committee, the Court of Auditors, or the Committee of the Regions as AST3 level Laureates in the following THREE specialist profiles:
- Audiovisual & Conference Technicians
- Building Technicians
- Laboratory Technicians
Below we explore the specifics of this competition and the selection process that you will need to undertake.
Want to join the conversation and talk to other candidates about this competition?
Get helpful hints and advice from other candidates via the Technicians - EPSO Exams Facebook Group.
To help candidates get up to speed with all the ins-and-outs of each competition, EU Training held a FREE 2021 Technicians & Support Workers EPSO Exams - Information Webcast on 24 September to discuss all the key elements of these competitions and how best to prepare for each stage.
YOU CAN VIEW THE RECORDING HERE:
|Competition Snapshot I Eligibility Criteria I Selection Process I How Can You Apply?|
- Open for Applications: 23 September, 2021
- Application Deadline: 26 October, 2021 (12-noon Brussels Time)
- Grade: AST3
- Depending on the profile posts will be based in Brussels (Belgium),
- This competition covers three fields - you may only apply to one
- This competition includes a Talent Screener
- Posts will be based predominantly in Brussels/Luxembourg for fields 1 & 2, and Geel (Belgium)/Ispra (Italy)/Karlsruhe (Germany)/Petten (The Netherlands) for field 3.
Under this competition, the following three reserve lists have been advertised, from which a number of European institutions may recruit new members:
|Field & Competition Code||Candidates Sought|
|Audiovisual & Conference Technicians: EPSO/AST/150/21 - 1||92|
|Building Technicians: EPSO/AST/150/21 - 2||114|
|Laboratory Technicians: EPSO/AST/150/21 - 2||20|
Please refer to the Notice of Competition's "what tasks can I expect to perform" (page 2) section for details on the main roles covered by each field, as well as, ANNEX I which expands on the duties to be performed.
Candidates will need to satisfy the following:
- Have EU citizenship
- Fulfilled any military service requirements
- Meet the character requirements for the duties concerned
- Have knowledge of at least TWO official EU languages:
- Language 1: Have a thorough knowledge (minimum C1 level) of one of the 24 official EU languages - will be defined as your Language 1.
- Language 2: Have a good command (minimum B2 level) of either English OR French and MUST BE different to your Language 1 choice - will be defined as your Language 2.
Qualifications & Work Experience
Field 1: Audiovisual & Conference Technicians
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma in an area related to the duties of FIELD 1 as indicated in ANNEX I. Plus a minimum of 3 years professional experience relevant to those same duties. OR
- Secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education. Plus a minimum of 6 years professional experience relevant to the duties of FIELD 1 as indicated in ANNEX I.
Field 2: Building Technicians
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma in Building Security, Occupational & Building Safety, Building Technology, Energy & Environment Management of Buildings or in another area directly linked to the duties of FIELD 2 as indicated in ANNEX I. Plus a minimum of 3 years professional experience relevant to those same duties. OR
- Secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education. Plus a minimum of 6 years professional experience relevant to the duties of FIELD 2 as indicated in ANNEX I.
Field 3: Laboratory Technicians
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma in an area related to the duties of FIELD 3 as indicated in ANNEX I. Plus a minimum of 3 years professional experience relevant to those same duties. OR
- Secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education. Plus a minimum of 6 years professional experience relevant to the duties of FIELD 3 as indicated in ANNEX I.
Please consult ANNEX IV of the Notice of Competition for examples of minimum qualifications.
IMPORTANT: You can complete your application in any of the 24 official EU languages, BUT your Talent Screener MUST BE completed in your chosen Language 2 (English or French).
1. PRE-SELECTION COMPUTER-BASED TESTS
This phase of the competition is made up of a series of computer-based multiple-choice reasoning tests. If the number of candidates exceeds a certain threshold, this exam will be held at the start of the competition process otherwise it will be held at the Assessment Centre phase.
Numerical + Abstract Combined 10/20
- The results of the computer-based MCQ tests are eliminatory and will not be taken into account in your final overall marks.
- However, you must reach the minimum pass mark in all tests and get one of the highest scores in order to move on to the next stage of the competition.
2. ELIGIBILITY CHECK
EPSO will check the data provided by each candidate via their online application against the eligibility requirements of this competition. Remember that you can fill out your application in any of the 24 Official EU languages - except for the Talent Screener, which needs to be completed in your chosen Langauge 2 (English or French).
If the computer-based multiple-choice reasoning tests take place at the beginning of the selection process, eligibility will be checked in descending order of the overall marks obtained during this exam until the number of eligible candidates reaches a certain threshold defined before the tests take place.
3. TALENT SCREENER
You MUST complete your Talent Screener in Language 2 - English OR French.
The selection board assigns a weighting to each selection criterion and based on the information provided in the Talent Screener each candidate will receive a score. Only those candidates with the highest overall marks will go through to the next stage. Therefore, you should include all relevant information in your Talent Screener answers, even if you have already mentioned it in other sections of your application form. The questions are based on the selection criteria included in this notice - see ANNEX II for the list of criteria.
Getting this part wrong can easily jeopardise your chances of moving through to the next stage of the selection process - which you don't want to risk. To better understand how the EPSO Talent Screener works it is advised that you view this webinar recording - Everything You Need To Know About EPSO's Talent Screener.
Need help with your EPSO application or Talent Screener?
Take a look at our Application Assistance service
4. ASSESSMENT CENTRE
Those who scored the highest marks in the Talent Screener will be invited to the Assessment Centre. A maximum of 3 times the number of successful candidates sought for each field via this competition will be invited to this phase.
You will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre (online or in-person) over one or several days and will need to be completed in your chosen Language 2. (Further details and instructions will be included in your invitation letter.)
7 general competencies, as well as field-related competencies required for each field of the competition, will be tested through 3 tests:
Each general competency will be awarded a mark out of 10, with a total pass mark required of 35/70.
In addition to this, the Field-Related Interview will require a minimum pass mark of 50/100.
5. RESERVE LIST
After checking candidates’ supporting documents, the selection board will draw up a Reserve List of eligible candidates who obtained the highest overall score, until the number of successful candidates sought for each field is reached.
Make sure to ALWAYS check the official Notice of Competition and understand the rules relating to the exams. For full details on this selection procedure read the official Notice of Competition and the General Rules Governing Open Competitions to ensure you have the required qualifications and satisfy the eligibility criteria before applying.
To start the application process, click below for the different fields:
- Field 1: Audiovisual & Conference Technicians
- Filed 2: Building Technicians
- Filed 3: Laboratory Technicians
Are You New to EPSO Competitions?
EU Training offers a wealth of practice materials for all stages and levels of the EU institutions’ selection exams.
If you have a question or need additional help in understanding the EPSO processes, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Want to see what these EPSO Pre-Selection exams look like?
Try our FREE EPSO Exam Demo
Unsure how the EPSO selection process works?
View our short video - ‘New To EPSO Competitions’
EPSO competitions - how to apply?
What is an EPSO competition?
If you are new to the EPSO selection process then it's important to learn how this complex (and sometimes confusing) process works. The great news is EU Training has all the resources and preparation tools you'll need to get fully prepared. Start by visiting our "New To EU Exams?" page, then browse our FREE Webcasts and Webinars library.
How do I get an EU job?
So you're dreaming of an EU job...congratulations! You're about to embark on an exciting career choice. There are many roads to an EU job and at times these roads can be hard to navigate. That's why we've put together a helpful overview of EU career opportunities in Brussels and beyond so you can get started on the path that is right for you.