The European Commission, with the support of the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) has just released an official Notice of Competition calling forward applications from specialists to join the team as AD7 level Administrators and AD9 level Experts in the following TWO fields:
- Defense Industry
Below we explore the specifics of this competition and the selection process that you will need to undertake.
Want to join the conversation and talk to other candidates about this competition?
Get helpful hints and advice from other candidates in the Space & Defense Competition - EPSO Exams Facebook Group.
To help candidates get up to speed with all the ins-and-outs of this competition, EU Training has held a FREE 2022 Administrators / Experts in the Fields of Defence Industry and Space - Information Webcast on 17 June and discussed all the key elements of this competition and how best to prepare for each stage.
VIEW RECORDING HERE:
|Competition Snapshot I Eligibility Criteria I Selection Process I How Can You Apply?|
- Open for Applications: 16 June, 2022
- Application Deadline: 19 July, 2022 (12-noon Brussels Time)
- This competition covers two fields and each field has two grades: AD7 & AD9 - you may only apply to one grade within one chosen field
- This competition includes a Talent Screener
- Posts will be based in Brussels at DG DEFIS
Under this competition, the following FOUR reserve lists have been advertised, from which DG DEFIS may recruit new members:
|Field & Competition Code||Candidates Sought|
|Administrators in the Field of Defence Industry: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 1 (AD7)||32|
|Experts in the Field of Defence Industry: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 1 (AD9)||16|
|Administrators in the Field of Space: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 2 (AD7)||35|
|Experts in the Field of Space: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 2 (AD9)||17|
Please refer to the Notice of Competition's "what tasks can I expect to perform" (pages 1 & 2) section for details on the main roles covered by each field, as well as, ANNEX I which expands on the duties to be performed.
Candidates will need to satisfy the following:
- Have EU citizenship
- Fulfilled any military service requirements
- Meet the character requirements for the duties concerned
- Have knowledge of at least TWO official EU languages:
- Language 1: Have a thorough knowledge (minimum C1 level) of one of the 24 official EU languages - will be defined as your Language 1.
- Language 2: Have a good command (minimum B2 level) of a different official EU language which MUST BE different to your Language 1 choice - will be defined as your Language 2.
- ONE OF THESE LANGUAGES MUST BE ENGLISH!!!
Qualifications & Work Experience
FIELD 1: Field of Defense Industry - AD 7 / AD 9
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 4 years, attested by a diploma, followed by a minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience. OR
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years, attested by a diploma, followed by a minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience.
FIELD 2: Field of Space - AD 7 / AD 9
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 4 years attested by a diploma, followed by a minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience. OR
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma, followed by a minimum of 11 years of relevant professional experience.
Experience for both grades will be considered relevant IF:
It is acquired in the defense domain, including defense research and development (R & D) and procurement, defense industrial policy, and/or in the space domain, including but not limited to space R & D, space economics, space law, satellite navigation, etc. AND
It is relevant to the nature of duties as indicated in ANNEX I.
IMPORTANT: You can complete your application in any of the 24 official EU languages, BUT your Talent Screener MUST BE completed in ENGLISH
1. ELIGIBILITY CHECK
EPSO will check the data provided by each candidate via their online application against the eligibility requirements of this competition. Remember that you can fill out your application in any of the 24 Official EU languages - except for the Talent Screener, which needs to be completed in English. Candidates that are deemed eligible will move on to the next round of the competition.
2. TALENT SCREENER
You MUST complete your Talent Screener in ENGLISH
The selection board assigns a weighting to each selection criterion and based on the information provided in the Talent Screener each candidate will receive a score. Only those candidates with the highest overall marks will go through to the next stage. Therefore, you should include all relevant information in your Talent Screener answers, even if you have already mentioned it in other sections of your application form. The questions are based on the selection criteria included in this notice - see ANNEX II for the list of criteria.
Getting this part wrong can easily jeopardise your chances of moving through to the next stage of the selection process - which you don't want to risk. To better understand how the EPSO Talent Screener works it is advised that you view this webinar recording - Everything You Need To Know About EPSO's Talent Screener.
Need help with your EPSO application or Talent Screener?
Take a look at our Application Assistance service
3. ASSESSMENT CENTRE
As part of the Assessment Centre, you will need to complete a series of computer-based multiple-choice reasoning tests in your chosen Language 1 (any official EU language other than English).
Numerical + Abstract Combined 10/20
- To progress in the competition and be invited to undertake the other Assessment Centre exercises you MUST reach the minimum pass mark in all tests.
- The results of these three tests will NOT be added to the marks obtained in the other Assessment Centre tests when calculating your final overall score.
Those progressing forward in the Assessment Centre will be tested on eight general competencies, as well as field-related competencies required for each field of the competition, through four tests:
- Oral Presentation
- Situational Competency-Based Interview (SCBI)
- Field-Related Interview
- Field-Related Written Test
These exercises will need to be completed in ENGLISH.
Each general competency will be awarded a mark out of 10, with a total pass mark required of 40/80.
In addition to this, the Field-Related Interview will require a minimum pass mark of 50/100.
4. RESERVE LIST
After checking candidates’ supporting documents, the selection board will draw up a Reserve List of eligible candidates who obtained the highest overall score, until the number of successful candidates sought for each field is reached.
Make sure to ALWAYS check the official Notice of Competition and understand the rules relating to the exams. For full details on this selection procedure read the official Notice of Competition and the General Rules Governing Open Competitions to ensure you have the required qualifications and satisfy the eligibility criteria before applying.
To start the application process, click below for the different fields:
- Administrators in the Field of Defence Industry: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 1 (AD7)
- Experts in the Field of Defence Industry: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 1 (AD9)
- Administrators in the Field of Space: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 2 (AD7)
- Experts in the Field of Space: EPSO/AD/400/22 - 2 (AD9)
Are You New to EPSO Competitions?
EU Training offers a wealth of practice materials for all stages and levels of the EU institutions’ selection exams.
If you have a question or need additional help in understanding the EPSO processes, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Want to see what these EPSO Pre-Selection exams look like?
Try our FREE EPSO Exam Demo
Unsure how the EPSO selection process works?
View our short video - ‘New To EPSO Competitions’
EPSO competitions - how to apply?
What is an EPSO competition?
If you are new to the EPSO selection process then it's important to learn how this complex (and sometimes confusing) process works. The great news is EU Training has all the resources and preparation tools you'll need to get fully prepared. Start by visiting our "New To EU Exams?" page, then browse our FREE Webcasts and Webinars library.
How do I get an EU job?
So you're dreaming of an EU job...congratulations! You're about to embark on an exciting career choice. There are many roads to an EU job and at times these roads can be hard to navigate. That's why we've put together a helpful overview of EU career opportunities in Brussels and beyond so you can get started on the path that is right for you.