The European Commission has just released an Official Notice of Competition calling forward applications from IT Specialists with expertise in the following fields:
- Advanced Technology: High Performance Computing
- Advanced Technology: Quantum Technologies
- Data Analysis and Data Science
- Digital Workplace, Office Automation and Mobile Computing
- ICT Security
- IT Infrastructure and Cloud
Below we explore the specifics of this competition and the selection process that you will need to undertake.
Want to join the conversation and talk to other candidates about this competition?
Get helpful hints and advice from other candidates via the EPSO IT Specialists Exams Facebook group.
|Competition Snapshot I Eligibility Criteria I Selection Process I How Can You Apply?|
- Open for Applications: 9 January, 2020
- Application Deadline: 6 February, 2020 (12-noon Brussels Time) - APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TILL 20 FEBRUARY 2020!
- Grades: AD8 and AST4
- This competition covers two grades (AD8 & AST4) and several fields. Within a grade, you may only apply to one field.
- This competition includes a Talent Screener
- The European Commission is looking for Temporary Staff (initial duration of the contract is four years).
- Most of the posts will be based in Luxembourg
Under this competition, the following fields, grades and reserve lists have been advertised, from which the European Commission may recruit new temporary members:
|Field & Grade||Candidates Sought|
|Advanced Technology: High Performance Computing - AD8||15|
|Advanced Technology: High Performance Computing - AST4||5|
|Advanced Technology: Quantum Technologies - AD8||4|
|Data Analysis and Data Science - AD8||40|
|Data Analysis and Data Science - AST4||16|
|Digital Workplace, Office Automation and Mobile Computing - AD8||12|
|Digital Workplace, Office Automation and Mobile Computing - AST4||9|
|ICT Security - AD8||50|
|ICT Security - AST4||13|
|IT Infrastructure and Cloud - AD8||26|
|IT Infrastructure and Cloud - AST4||27|
In total 147 Administrators (AD8) and 70 Assistants (AST4) are being sought.
IT Specialists at Administrator (AD8) level will define and implement new ICT strategies or Commission priorities in the field, translate business needs into ICT solutions, and work with statistical data and big data sources. Duties will include keeping the ICT services running, managing stakeholder relations and participating in meetings as a technical specialist.
IT Specialists at Assistant (AST4) level will support the implementation of IT projects by contributing to solution design, drafting business specifications, and assisting in budgetary and resource planning. Duties will include analysing and processing statistical data and big data sources, participating in the conception and implementation of ICT solutions and contributing to briefings and presentations.
Please see ANNEX I of the Notice of Competition for more information about the typical duties to be performed per field.
Candidates will need to satisfy the following:
- Have EU citizenship
- Fulfilled any military service requirements
- Meet the character requirements for the duties concerned
- Have knowledge of at least TWO official EU languages:
- Language 1: Have a thorough knowledge (minimum C1 level) of one of the 24 official EU languages - will be defined as your Language 1.
- Language 2: Have a good command (minimum B2 level) of either English OR French and MUST BE different to your Language 1 choice - will be defined as your Language 2.
- Please note that the application's Talent Screener component must be filled out in Language 2.
Qualifications & Work Experience
Administrators - AD8 Grade:
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 4 years, attested by a diploma. Plus a minimum of 9 years of professional experience in ICT, of which a minimum of 3 years needed to have been in the field chosen and relates to the duties described in the competition. OR
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years, attested by a diploma. Plus a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in ICT, of which a minimum of 3 years needed to have been in the field chosen and relates to the duties described in the competition.
Assistants - AST4 Grade:
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed post-secondary education of at least 2 years, attested by a diploma. Plus a minimum of 6 years of professional experience in ICT, of which a minimum of 3 years needed to have been in the field chosen and relates to the duties described in the competition. OR
- Have completed secondary education, attested by a diploma, giving access to post-secondary education. Plus a minimum of 9 years of professional experience in ICT, of which a minimum of 3 years needed to have been in the field chosen and relates to the duties described in the competition.
Please consult ANNEX II of the Notice of Competition for examples of minimum qualifications.
Please note: You must complete the Talent Screener in your Language 2 – this means in either English OR French.
1. COMPUTER-BASED TESTS
This phase of the competition is made up of a series of computer-based multiple-choice questions and reasoning tests.
- The results of the verbal reasoning test will not be taken into account when calculating your final exam score.
- However, you must reach the minimum pass mark in ALL tests in order to qualify for the next stage of the competition.
- The results of the computer-based tests are eliminatory and will not be taken into account in your final overall competition score.
2. ELIGIBILITY CHECK
EPSO will check the data provided by each candidate via their online application against the eligibility requirements of this competition. Remember that you can fill out your application in any of the 24 Official EU languages - except for the Talent Screener, which needs to be completed in your chosen Langauge 2.
Eligibility will be checked in descending order of the overall marks obtained in the Numerical and Abstract Reasoning Tests,
Approximately 9 times, but no more than 10 times, the number of successful candidates sought for each field and grade will move on to the next stage of the selection process.
3. TALENT SCREENER
You MUST complete your Talent Screener in Language 2 - English OR French.
The selection board assigns a weighting to each selection criterion and based on the information provided in the Talent Screener each candidate will receive a score. Only those candidates with the highest overall marks will go through to the next stage. Therefore, you should include all relevant information in your Talent Screener answers, even if you have already mentioned it in other sections of your application form. The questions are based on the selection criteria included in this notice - see ANNEX II for the list of criteria.
Getting this part wrong can easily jeopardise your chances of moving through to the next stage of the selection process - which you don't want to risk. To better understand how the EPSO Talent Screener works it is advised that you view this webinar recording - Everything You Need To Know About EPSO's Talent Screener.
Need help with your EPSO application or Talent Screener?
Take a look at our Application Assistance service
4. FIELD-RELATED INTERVIEW
Those who scored the highest marks in the Talent Screener will be invited to the Field-Related Interview. A maximum of 3 times the number of successful candidates sought per field and grade will be invited to this phase.
The purpose of the field-related interview is to assess and compare objectively and impartially candidates’ qualifications and professional experience in their chosen field as set out in the notice of competition.
Please note that the Interview will most likely take place in either Luxembourg or Brussels or via video-conference and it will need to be completed in your chosen Language 2.
The Field-Related Interview will be marked out of 100, with a pass mark of 50.
5. RESERVE LIST
After checking candidates’ supporting documents, the selection board will draw up a Reserve List for each field and grade, of eligible candidates who obtained the highest overall score, until the number of successful candidates sought is reached.
Make sure to ALWAYS check the official Notice of Competition and understand the rules relating to the exams. For full details on this selection procedure read the official Notice of Competition and the General Rules Governing Open Competitions to ensure you have the required qualifications and satisfy the eligibility criteria before applying.
To start the application process, click below for the different fields and grades:
- Advanced Technology: High Performance Computing - AD8
- Advanced Technology: High Performance Computing - AST4
- Advanced Technology: Quantum Technologies - AD8
- Data Analysis and Data Science - AD8
- Data Analysis and Data Science - AST4
- Digital Workplace, Office Automation and Mobile Computing - AD8
- Digital Workplace, Office Automation and Mobile Computing - AST4
- ICT Security - AD8
- ICT Security - AST4
- IT Infrastructure and Cloud - AD8
- IT Infrastructure and Cloud - AST4
Are You New to EPSO Competitions?
EU Training offers a wealth of practice materials for all stages and levels of the EU institutions’ selection exams.
If you have a question or need additional help in understanding the EPSO processes, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Want to see what these EPSO Pre-Selection exams look like?
Try our FREE EPSO Exam Demo
Unsure how the EPSO selection process works?
View our short video - ‘New To EPSO Competitions’