2023 UPDATE - For the new EPSO selection process and AD5 Generalist competition, EPSO will be publishing the resources for the EU Knowledge Test directly on its website. The below information can still be useful, however, to kick start your preparation.
Still considered a relatively new addition to selection exams, the EU Knowledge Test has only been around since 2021, as far as we know. At the moment it is only Internal Competitions employing this type of test. However, there are rumours of this test becoming standard in the EPSO exams repertoire. We published a similar article last year, but since then have done a fresh round of research and have found even more resources for you to use when preparing for this test.
This past year we've also quietly added over 500 EU Knowledge Test questions to our database, making the total 860 questions currently. To get familiar with the type of questions you may be asked you can practice with these questions. These questions were written and compiled by an expert on EU history and policies, taking into account feedback from candidates about the content of the test questions.
Here's a sampling of some of the subjects covered in the EU Knowledge Practice Test questions in our database:
- History of EU integration
- EU budget
- European Union legislative procedures
- European Union institutions
- European Union Law
- European Union policies
TO HELP YOU PREPARE...
To help you best prepare we've collected quite a few useful resources to give your EU Knowledge a boost. There are two main categories - Free and Paid (i.e. for purchase). Within those two main categories we've broken it down according to medium (e.g. video, presentation, e-book, etc.). Use the table of contents below to go directly to the resources that most interest you.
Disclaimer: these are external resources that are independent from EU Training. While we did our best to collect reliable and helpful information, some might be outdated or inaccurate. If you find such resources, please let us know so we can update our list accordingly. Do you have others you suggest we should include? Please let us know about that too.
- How the EU works: Introduction
- Online Course: ‘EU policy and implementation: making Europe work!’
- The European Union in Global Governance
- The Euro: the History, Issues and Solutions - Alfred Mifsud
- Treaties of the European Union
- Fundamental Social Rights in the European Union
- The EU and Human Rights
- How does the EU work (and why is it so complex)? | DW News
- How Does the EU Actually Work?
- How the EU works: a video guide
- The EU institutions explained by their Presidents
- Council animation decision making (EN)
- The Brief: 10 years of The Lisbon Treaty
- How the European Union works: become easily an EU expert
- Introduction to European Union Law
- EU funding: How to access programmes and projects - Module 1
- An Introduction to EU Customs and Compliance (Updated Audio)
- Budget preparation for an EU project proposal
- Understanding EU Decision-Making: Principles, Procedures, Practice (+ Preliminary Module)
- Understanding EU Decision-Making – preliminary module
- EU Treaties: Purpose and Major Treaties
- Blackstone's EU Treaties & Legislation
- How the EU Really Works
- How the EU Institutions Work: Your handbook and guide to EU decision-making
- Understanding EU Decision-Making
NEW TO EU EXAMS?
Get to know the current EPSO competition model and how the selection process works.
If you have any questions regarding the EU Knowledge Test, our prep materials, or anything else to do with EPSO exams, please drop us a line here, we'll do our best to get back to you within 24 hours and answer your questions to the best of our knowledge. Good luck on your exams!