EPSO/AD/411/23 | Field-Related MCQ Resources
The objective of EU Training’s practice questions is to enhance your preparation for the EPSO field-related MCQ for the Nuclear inspectors and Policy officers competition. The questions cover a wide array of topics in both profiles and also follow the information found in EPSO's Notice of Competition.
Nuclear safeguards inspectors
The multiple-choice questions focus on different aspects of the inspection of nuclear facilities related to nuclear safeguards: inspection and surveillance of nuclear facilities for nuclear proliferation.
The questionnaire is complemented with aspects of inspections by the regulatory authority in regards to nuclear safety, and inspections by the operator of nuclear facilities. Questions aim to cover the most relevant aspects of the nuclear fuel cycle, which are uranium enrichment and plutonium reprocessing plants, nuclear power plants, nuclear material ores and storage sites, and nuclear facilities decommissioning and final disposal of radioactive materials. Research reactors and nuclear fusion technology were considered as well, together with other uses of nuclear materials. Although the approach is focused on the nuclear industry in general, specific references to European Union cases are considered.
- A Day in the Life of a Nuclear Safeguards Inspector | IAEA
- Commission Regulation (Euratom) No 302/2005 of 8 February 2005 on the application of Euratom safeguards. Official Journal of the European Union L54, 28.2.2005. EUR-Lex - 32005R0302 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)
- Consolidated Version of the Treaty Establishing the European Atomic Energy Community. Publications Office of the European Union, 2016. doi:10.2860/865952. The Euratom Treaty - Publications Office of the EU (europa.eu)
- Control of Orphan Sources and Other Radioactive Material in the Metal Recycling and Production Industries | IAEA. IAEA Safety Standards. Control of Orphan Sources and Other Radioactive Material in the Metal Recycling and Production Industries for protecting people and the environment. Specific Safety Guide No. SSG-17. IAEA, Vienna, 2012.
- Detecting Nuclear Material Smaller Than a Pin | IAEA
- Enhancing Capabilities for Nuclear Verification Resource Mobilization Priorities. IAEA STR-399. January 2022. rmp-2022.pdf (iaea.org)
- Health Check: IAEA Side Event Discusses the Application of Nuclear Safeguards at Radiopharmaceutical Facilities | IAEA
- Hot Cell Post-irradiation Examination and Poolside Inspection of Nuclear Fuel | IAEA Proceedings of the IAEA–HOTLAB Technical Meeting held in Smolenice, Slovakia, 23–27 May 2011IAEA-TECDOC-CD-1693. IAEA, Vienna, 2013.
- Inspection of Radiation Sources and Regulatory Enforcement. IAEA-TECDOC-1526. IAEA, Vienna, 2007.
- International Safeguards in the Design of Uranium Conversion Plants | IAEA Nuclear Energy Series No. NF-T-4.8, Vienna, 2017.
- ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) organization. Nuclear safety | 'A pragmatic and creative approach' (iter.org)
- ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) organization. Safety and Environment (iter.org).
- Knowledge Management for Nuclear Industry Operating Organizations | IAEA. IAEA-TECDOC-1510. IAEA, Vienna, 2006.
- Maintenance, Testing, Surveillance and Inspection in Nuclear Power Plants | IAEA. IAEA Safety Standards. Specific Safety Guide No. SSG-74. IAEA 2022.
- Management systems for nuclear facilities | IAEA
- New IAEA Uranium Enrichment Monitor to Verify Iran’s Commitments under JCPOA | IAEA
- Post-irradiation Examination Techniques for Research Reactor Fuels | IAEA. IAEA Nuclear Energy Series No. NF‑T‑2.6. IAEA, Vienna, 2023.
- Regulatory Control of Nuclear Power Plants | IAEA Training Course Series No. 15. IAEA, Vienna, 2002.
- Regulatory Inspection of Nuclear Facilities and Enforcement by the Regulatory Body | IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GS-G-1.3. IAEA, Vienna, 2002.
- Safe Handling and Storage of Plutonium | IAEA. Safety Report Series No. 9, IAEA, Vienna, 1998.
- Safeguarding nuclear materials. Summary of Regulation (Euratom) No 302/2005 on the application of Euratom safeguards.
- Commission Regulation (Euratom) No 302/2005 of 8 February 20... - EUR-Lex (europa.eu).
- Safeguards and verification | IAEA
- Safety of Research Reactors | IAEA. IAEA Safety Standards for protecting people and the environment. Safety of Research Reactors. Specific Safety Requirements No. SSR-3. IAEA, Vienna, 2016.
- Sample Analysis at the IAEA’s Labs | IAEA
- Surveying Safeguarded Material 24/7 | IAEA
- The Management System for Nuclear Installations | IAEA. IAEA Safety Standards. Safety Guide No. GS-G-3.5. IAEA, Vienna, 2009.
- Tools for Nuclear Inspection | IAEA
Policy officers in the area of nuclear energy
The multiple-choice questions cover a wide range of topics pertaining to nuclear policy, including:
• history-related information (such as the years when relevant entities were created or when important agreements were concluded),• explanatory details (what is the meaning of specific notions, concepts or entities),• content details (regarding the membership of specific entities, and the focus of certain programs),• policy process information,• medical-related aspects,• legal issues in nuclear energy,• international negotiations, and• economic and social aspects related to nuclear energy and industry.
- DG ENER - Nuclear energy
- Council - WPAO
- European Parliament - Nuclear energy
- EU Science Hub
- European Nuclear Society
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- Nuclear Europe
- European Association of Competent Authorities (EACA)
- European Nuclear Safety Regulators Group (ENSREG)
- Western European Nuclear Regulators Association (WENRA)
- Resilience of the nuclear sector in Europe in the face of pandemic risks
- European Instrument for International Nuclear Safety Cooperation - Performance
- Fusion for Energy
- Group of experts on financial aspects of nuclear decommissioning and spent fuel and radioactive waste management (E03777)
- Zangger Committee
- EEAS - EU Statement on Cluster III (peaceful uses of nuclear energy)
- UN - Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty
- European Supply Agency
- Sustainable Nuclear Energy Technology Platform (SNETP)
- EU Database of radioactivity monitoring results (REMdb)
- CURIA - Judgment of the General Court in Case T-101/18 | Austria v Commission
- EUROSTAT - Nuclear energy statistics
- European Court of Auditors - Special Report 03/2020 – Nuclear safety in the EU, the Commission’s role
- EBRD - Nuclear Safety Account
- UNECE - Aarhus Convention
- Nuclear Transparency Watch
- World Nuclear Association
- World Nuclear New
- National Library of Medicine
- Nuclear Medicine Europe
- OECD - Nuclear energy
- Arms Control Association
- Observer Research Foundation